-->

Saturday 16 March 2013

Pus - Pus



Here's an EP I've been meaning to check out for a long time now, but me being me, it's taken me the best part of forever to finally stumble upon a copy. Maaaan this shit is so fucking heavy - so heavy that on my car stereo all I can hear whilst driving are the cymbals and vocals. This is something that generally happens with muddily produced grindcore records, but Pus' epic low end just isn't audible on tarmac. At home, however, things are different. On my absolutely epic 250w system, Pus can be appreciated to the max. The guitars are lower than Atlantis! They are the next thing after Hymns...era Last Days of Humanity due to rattle my neighbours out of bed sometime soon. I look forward to it.

 

The EP starts on a great note but for me I find it gets better and better as it goes on. The band's rather unique mega-doomy / sludge crossover sound really makes this CD, and allows for some very interesting songwriting to unfold. The vocals are agonized shouts and screams and for the most part are drenched in echo or distortion, which really adds to the vibe here. All in all, a cracking debut from Pus - this is some ugly shit! Blows my mind that some of these guys are / were from Merthyr and it's taken me this long to hear this stuff. I'm such a mong! I can't wait to see what this band come up with next. Released as a collaberation between Universal Tongue and Feretro Records.


No comments:

Post a Comment