-->

Monday 22 April 2013

King Midas Sound - Aroo



This 12" marks my first Record Store Day purchase, even though it was accidental. I decided to visit Cardiff on Record Store Day this year, which was fairly disastrous, but I ended up in Catapult browsing where I picked up another King Midas 12". When I took it to the counter to pay for it, the chap at the desk kindly informed me that the band had put another 12" out on Ninja Tune just for Record Store Day. When I looked up they had a wall behind the counter covered in the shit that had been released for today only, which was a lot more understated than other shops in the area, which had queues out the door and half way around the fucking city.


I'm glad I picked this up, because otherwise I would have missed my chance and have to pay hipsters on Discogs extortionate amounts for a copy, but this is definitely more of a completists item for the King Midas enthusiast. Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Sound, but the reason I love KMS so much is because of the haunting vocals, and thoughtful lyrics. The A-side, "Aroo" is enormously poppy, unlike anything I've heard from King Midas in the past, the usual choppy dub beats being led by an odd, distorted, almost guitar-like lead and fresh female vocals. Which is all well and good (not to mention, huge sounding), but it doesn't leave much time for the Midas dubs, yo, which is what I'm all about. The standard vocals burst in every now and then like an afterthought, if anything just to "keep it Midas".


Side B and it's "Version" are much more gloomy. A heavy synth leads a mystifying track that is much more on par with the King Midas Sound that I love. All in all, not a bad pick up, but not maybe something I would have rushed into buying if it wasn't a limited edition. There is no record of this on Discogs etc. yet so I can't give you a valuation (Monday 22nd update - now there is), but I paid £6.99 for it, which was probably a bit steep, but helps your ol' bricks and mortar record store and all that. I guess that this price will rise a bit when the record becomes less easily available.

Turn all the way up, and chill the absolute fuck out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment