-->

Saturday 14 January 2017

Hooded Menace - Fulfill The Curse


The debut of slow, gloomy death magic from snail-paced doom masters, Hooded Menace. I'm about to run out and get myself a sacrificial robe, some dry ice and a bunch of cheap red wine after hearing this sludgy masterpiece again. I feel that somehow, paraphernalia like that is fitting for listening to stuff like this. Perhaps bizarrely, I once caught Hooded Menace live at Obscene Extreme festival (of all places!) and have been dabbling in their murky cauldron every so often since then, when I'm in the mood for soul excoriation via monolithian doom, of course. 

"Beauty And The Feast" has to be my favourite track here; the way it leads with a strong bass presence is simply amazing and brutal, and the track is oft reminiscent of Disembowelment before becoming something altogether more Sabbathy in the second half. Bizarro! Speaking of being bizarre as f, there's the odd "Love Song Of Gotho, The Hunchback Of The Morgue" and a cover version of the theme for Fulci's Manhattan Baby (Eye Of The Evil Dead for UK/USA readers).

Death doom, done right.



No comments:

Post a Comment