-->

Monday 23 May 2016

The LaFontaines - Class


(Words by Burra)

I was recommended this band to check out, and having known literally nothing about them I was interested to hear what was going on. The LaFontaines are a very difficult band to pigeonhole; I'm finding myself presented with rapping, smooth sounding vocals, riffs, indie guitar licks, lovely guitar tones amongst really big sounding anthems. What a mental combination! On paper this shouldn't work, it really shouldn't... however these guys have seemed to pull it off nicely. I'm hearing multiple genres at play throughout the album - even throughout a single track! But, I'm finding it's very refreshing to listen to something so different; something that has a surprise around every corner. 

The standout track on this album for me is definitely "Castles"; if I had to sum this particular track up, it sounds a mixture of all the sounds I've just mentioned, but with a slightly anthemic vibe, and to me, what sounds like it could be a You Me At Six or Deaf Havana-kinda sound with a cheeky rap thrown in for a good measure. I'm finding myself hitting repeat on this one. However, the track that follows, "King", is almost straight up hip hop; such a confusing album in terms of direction and flow, and as I say, this really shouldn't work, but I find myself quite drawn to it. I think from a marketing perspective this band has something great going on too. as they can kinda squeeze into very varied bills and lineups, and I should imagine the band draws an extremely varied fan-base too. 

Overall though, it's a ridiculously strong album and I'd definitely recommend a listen to this to see for yourselves what you make of it - it really is an odd mix, but a great album! For me the album highlights are "Castles" "Class" and "All She Knows".

No comments:

Post a Comment