-->

Wednesday 25 May 2016

The Jesus Lizard - Goat


The Jesus Lizard are one of those bands that I had been meaning to check out for all eternity but never seem to get around to listening to (until now, obviously). I picked their Goat record to try out at random, simply because the art looked kinda cool and abstract so I just dove in and went for it. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's just because I've taken so long to jump onto this bangwagon, but I feel like I'm stepping into the early 90s whilst listening to this, and unfortunately not in a particularly good way. It just feels like this type of thing is no longer culturally relevant, and I hate saying that because it does kinda throw an insult to the band and the fans but I just can't shake the feeling that if I was alive in the right generation this shit would be the top kek, as the internet says. 

I'm just gonna come out and say it - on face value this sounds to me like a poor man's mix of Helmet and The Melvins. It's not particularly bad per se, but it plods a bit for me; I'm one of those losers than always seems to skip over the middle-ground of music (it's either gotta be really slow, really fast, or just pure shit noise haha). There is also a heavy grunge overtone, and that's not something I'm particularly fond of either; even if said grunge overtone borrows heavily from The Melvins pseudo-grunge template. It's also not surprising to find that this record was produced by Steve Albini, as it possesses that expected hallmark sound of his. 

All in all, not bad by any stretch, but not particularly great either.

No comments:

Post a Comment