-->

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Desecration - Pathway to Deviance


Death metal has a limited appeal for me, but when it's done right I just fucking love it. Maybe it's coincidence that I love my "local" death metal band Desecration more than most other death acts, or maybe it's not. I donno, I'm not a psychologist. All I know is that Desecration is fucking awesome. The sound (on any record) is spot on; the drums are dry and precise, the guitars clinical yet fuzzy and warm, and the bass clanks underneath at just the right volume. A whole world of growly growly vo-kills over the top of it all and wehey, instant death metal boner.

Regardless of the endless controversy that surrounded this band in its earlier days, I've always found their blood splattered themes to be rather tongue in cheek. Perhaps it's because the music is so groovy. I don't get an evil vibe from Desecration. "Bloody Human Carvery", whilst looking rather grim written there like that, is an absolute groove-fest. "Frosted Breath" sounds like a black metal song, but it really isn't. "King of the Missing" is a rather perplexing title, and "Offer the Flesh" opens with some really impressive drumming. That's what I'm talking about!

I got this picture disc from Ollie at Damnation 2012 when he was selling shit on the Extreme Noise Terror merch table. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was dirt cheap and I was chuffed to a thousand pieces to finally pick up a Desecration record on vinyl. Their discography is rather inconsistent with regards to format, but I do try to buy wax whenever possible, as I'm sure you're all aware by now. Out on Copro Records.



No comments:

Post a Comment