-->

Sunday 9 December 2012

Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom



What I've got here in today's post is Bongripper's 3rd pressing of Satan Worshipping Doom, which I wisely picked up at Roadburn in April. The band release all their records themselves, and it is now worth a small fortune on Discogs. Also, this is going to sound rather bizarre, but I see this as less of a record and more as a reminder, or a testament, to the band's fucking mindblowing set at Roadburn festival 2012. I gotta say, I was a bad place during last year's Roadburn, I almost felt detatched from the world for various different reasons, but several forms of drugs and mind / mood altering music helped me through the cold nights! Ha ha

 

Bongripper played two sets that festival, and one of them was this four track monster in it's entirety. It was a very draining experience, and I actually do not know how I managed to stand through the whole thing without collapsing and foaming at the mouth in a doom-metal induced spasm of orgasm, but that's what weed is for, right? Since that day I have never been able to listen to this album again without longing for the sheer impact that it pushed upon me live; it will forever serve as a second hand memory. It is still as awesome as several hundred shades of fuck, but it will never, ever, EVER reach the feeling that it had live.

 

You can take that in two ways. Some might say that this record is now tainted. I beg to differ. How good must Bongripper be to transcend that level of awesomeness when you play your entire record from start to finish live it actually turns out BETTER than the version you spent long days in the studio perfecting? That sirs, is art. And whilst I agree with people like M. Gira (to name a few, I just picked him because I am a gigantic fanboy) on the matter that songs should naturally take different forms in live environments, I can't help but almost shed a tear thinking about standing in the 013 main room at Roadburn every time I look at the cover art to this record. Now, if that makes it tainted, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

 

After 2 minutes; that riff! Jesus! If that doesn't blow your head off, get off this website! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment