-->

Saturday 22 February 2020

Lingua Ignota - Caligula


There’s a lot of buzz and hype around this woman right now, so I was afraid of being disappointed. I can happily (is that the right word?) confirm however, that this is a dark and disturbing listen. I’m getting heavy Gnaw Their Tongues vibes off this, but the blend of dark atmospheric noise and classical music, along with multilayered vocals, it’s pretty unique.

My one complaint is that the album is top heavy, and trails off towards the end. Hype train or no, this is a solid and raw entry into a genre that lurks mostly in the shadows, and I can only hope that the level of exposure this artist is getting for her intense performances (she was in Kerrang! magazine for fuck sake) brings a lot of new fans to the noise and power electronics underworlds.

TLDR: imagine Jarboe and Pharmakon having a fight in a mine shaft.

No comments:

Post a Comment