-->

Sunday 3 November 2019

Tuca & Bertie (2019)


Hi all - to celebrate hitting over 1000 posts, I’m going to further mix things up by also introducing TV show posts to Lines In Wax. The only criteria is that the show has finished its run and can be spoken about as a whole. Enjoy!

The first I heard of Tuca & Bertie was that it had been cancelled by Netflix, to much criticism. I read that maybe the creators went “too niche” with the target audience, but since watching this, I can absolutely say that is total horse shit. 

Tuca & Bertie, like the first season of Bojack Horseman, takes a few “procedural” episodes to build up steam, before getting a little meatier later on. It touches on mental health, most notably anxiety and trauma caused by sexual assault, but this does not surprise me considering the creators. 

I don’t feel like I can dive too much into that as it is written and told as a woman’s perspective, so it wouldn’t be my place to decide if this was done well or not, but I will say that I found Tuca & Bertie fresh, interesting, funny, moving, and honestly, inspiring, as far as animation goes. It truly is a shame that it has already been shitcanned by Netflix, for whatever reason. 

This really was a nice change of pace for me and I highly recommend it. RIP, gone too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment