-->

Monday 2 October 2017

David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time


Crazy Clown Time is, for the most part, a journey through rusted Americana with treated, dense beats. Repetition is God, repetition is key! Lynch has openly admitted that he is neither a singer nor a guitar player, but it only seems right that the all-encompassing artist releases his own music as well, and it does not disappoint me in the slightest. I mean, I kinda half-braced myself for some Mr. Bungle / John Zorn style freakery, but what we have here is much more fitting into the Lynchian aesthetic.

There are good songs, and there are not so good songs. Some of his vocal performances are lacking somewhat; not so much in quality, but in delivery. I love Lynch, and I don't dislike this record, but as someone who has listened to thousands of albums, I can't deny a weak vocal performance when I hear one. Lyrically, the man is on point, and the music is smokey and authentic. It's just the whole thing lacks a little, how should I say it, pizzazz.



No comments:

Post a Comment