-->

Monday 7 December 2015

Magrudergrind - Magrudergrind


Being an absolute pinnacle of modern grindcore, it is almost impossible to fault this Magrudergrind record. With that in mind, I will start with my only gripe. Where's the bass? I fucking love bass. That's literally all I can criticize. I remember making some unsavoury comments about Pig Destroyer getting a bass player and having seen them live several times since the change I can only long hopefully for Magrudergrind to one day pack that extra punch...

Anyway, I'm rambling. Magrudergrind's self titled is generally the record I recommend to grindcore newbies (as well as Wormrot's Noise EP) on the rare occasion somebody actually cares about what I'm saying. Opening track "The Protocols Of Anti-Sound" is one of my favourite songs ever as it comprises of everything you could possibly want out of grindcore in one short blast. Magrudergrind's razor sharp distortion and chunky drum production mingle perfectly, leaving just enough room for the distortion of the vocals. There's chaos, and plenty of it, but Magrudergrind also play the vital grind card (that a lot of bands overlook) - throwing in a fucking killer riff every now and then.

Speaking of killer riffs, "Bridge Burner" is a lengthy offering sitting in the middle of the record that sounds like an orgy of heaviness akin to Fistula crossed with Drop Dead. There's even some weird hip hop shit at the end of the album which I like but I'm sure will actually alienate some purists, but fuck those guys - hip hop is awesome. 

Grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment