-->

Saturday 13 December 2014

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?


'Scuse the lack of posting guys and gals - it's that time of year again where I fall off. Just had to drop in to share this post though; one of the most positive and uplifting records I've heard in a while. I've been craving fresh, new musical experiences lately in amongst flying about being a mental-busy spastic, and I've been journeying to musical realms that I've rarely touched up in the past. I heard of Emeralds for the first time in, of all places, a Pitchfork top 100 list. Bored in work one day I did a drive-by sweep of their 100 best between 2010-2014, and tried to pick out stuff that looked interesting, perplexing, awesome or just not-too-hipstery. Emeralds was one of those bands. 

Whilst the fact that it appeared in a Pitchfork listing in the first place doesn't do much to defend it's non-hipster credentials, I don't really give a shit because Does It Look Like I'm Here? is one of the nicest things I've heard in a while. It is a composition, a series of miniature musical scores, that really bring in some fantastic vibes and feels throughout the entire album. The songs flow with immense fluidity, and the long, bubbling synthesizer passages are nothing short of complete audible delight. 

This is watching a city come alive at 5am music. This is power-walking through that final 100 meters to the mountain peak kinda music. I'd also say that this is pretty cerebral and would recommend it for tripping too, as it's extremely immersive and enveloping without being at all threatening or aggressive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment