-->

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Suicide - Suicide


Well, this is… different. I’m aware of the influential impact that Suicide and Mr. Alan Vega have had on some of my favourite artists, so it was only fair that in time I go back even further and plumb those original depths. After a bit of research, and conversing amongst friends, I came to rest on Suicide’s debut album; a puzzling affair of cheap synths, almost early Lou Reed-like vocals and linear narrative and repetition that no doubt cemented the foundations for the no wave genre.

Despite the, how should I put it, homely style of synths, the overall recording is pretty flat and claustrophobic. Song subject matter ranges from comic book crushes, to the monotony and crushing feeling of entrapment in Western life (for the working class, at least). Each song does hold it’s own unique vibe and atmosphere, which is quite the achievement for something so linear.  “Frankie Teardrop” is probably my favourite song here. I was unaware that “Che” was originally by Suicide (I love the Sunn O))) version), and I am impressed that it still packs quite a punch without two guitars and thousands of pounds worth of amplification equipment.

All in all, I’m glad I made the listen, and I do appreciate what’s going on here, I just don’t think it’s for me. Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment