-->

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Epicardiectomy- Abhorrent Stench of Posthumous Gastrorectal Desecration

It's ridiculous to expect originality in a genre as limiting as slam. The name 'slam' itself is daft, but it signifies a slightly more slower, groovier approach to the death metal template. I personally welcome a 'slam' record now and then because it really breaks it up for me as far as death metal is concerned; sometimes I can just get really tired of super-super-fast death metal, and it's always nice to slow down and chug out a fucking spectacular riff every now and then (for further reading on the power of riffs, see: doom metal).

I first heard Epicardiectomy in an underground bar in Prague, in the Czech Republic. The guy working there was either in the band or his friends were, I can't remember, I was properly shitfaced even though it was like 4pm. Hearing it blasting through speakers and deafening the ten or so patrons of that particular hole in the floor in Eastern Europe will stick with me forever. In my house however, Abhorrent Stench of Posthumous Gastrorectal Desecration doesn't sound quite so epic, but it is still fucking heavy as hell. It kinda reminds me of Cephalotripsy, everything is fairly similar, although the vocals differ a bit.

It is all a bit one dimensional (it is a slam record, after all) but if brutal music to bang you head to is what you want (and/or need) then I'd recommend Epicardiectomy any day of the week. Also, I bet they are fucking shit hot live!

Stream the entire record below. My favourite track is no. 3, "Gobbling the Erupted Intestinal Mush".

No comments:

Post a Comment