-->

Tuesday 22 July 2014

DJ Senator - The Bassline / Roll Down Bass


Excuse my carpet.

This is a sticky-labelled 12" that I bought 2nd hand when I was experimenting with scratching back in the day (lol). I'd gotten a Ministry of Sound deck for Christmas and I needed some 90s-to-the-max shit to scratch and test pitch correction / matching on. As expected, I failed triumphantly at this shit and gave it up pretty quickly, although I did find it fun to scratch random records now and then, something which I have given up entirely since I've gained a serious respect for the vinyl medium.

The music on this 12" isn't particularly challenging or interesting in any way (both songs are based around THAT d'n'b beat - you know what I'm talking about), and if it wasn't for the school disco female vocals, the tracks could be ambiguously played at either 33 or 45 for a myraid of different atmospheres and effects. At 33, and devoid of vocals, it isn't a million miles away from Gyral / Stairway era Scorn. 

For some reason I can't bring myself to throw this away, although it has absolutely no value whatsoever. There is no Youtube available for this, so instead I'll offer you this useless tidbit of information: this was released on a Earache sub-label called Sub Bass Records in the early 90s when Earache was trying desperately to break into the d'n'b and rave scenes. Drastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment