-->

Saturday 4 January 2014

Watchmaker - Kill.Fucking.Everyone.



I think that Watchmaker are one of the most under-rated grindcore bands ever, which is weird considering this record was put out on Earache (through some deal that they had with Willowtip). In grind circles I never see people wearing a Watchmaker t-shirt, in fact I don't think I've even ever seen one for sale. I never hear people talking about Watchmaker, or recommending Watchmaker; and this goes for online as well as in the flesh. It's weird because, Watchmaker aren't some one-hit wonder band; they have several CDs out, so somebody must be listening out there? If you're a Watchmaker fan hit me back on Twitter or Facebook for the love of all that is grind-holy! You must be out there somewhere.


Ironically, after all that talk of under-exposure I discovered Watchmaker back in my 'confusing' teen years when I still trifled through a Kerrang! magazine if someone was daft enough to pay money for it and then leave it in the sixth form common room. There was a tiny album review for this in an issue; and I can't remember if it was good or bad but the striking cover art and the words "grindcore" and "Kill.Fucking.Everyone." stayed with me forever. When I got into grind properly I finally bought this from the Earache webstore, which was my first one-stop shop for grind back in the day.


At the time I thought the production was a bit muddy but with much more exprerienced ears I can retract that thought; Watchmaker play an interesting, and almost artistic approach to grindcore. This CD in particular always reminded me of a cross between Circle of Dead Children and the short-lived act White Eyes, even though vocally the bands don't come close. I guess it's just the vibe I get off listening to it. There's also a lot of elements of Insect Warfare type of shit on here too, but don't be misled to thinking that Watchmaker are one of those million-thousand carbon copy grind acts.


At a sensible 19 tracks in length, Kill.Fucking.Everyone. is actually pretty long (for a grindcore record). I implore all fans of the genre to check this band out, it's some pretty cool stuff! PS, muchos apologies for the low quality on the large pictures at the start of the post - I need to be more careful during my photography sessions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment