-->

Saturday 14 September 2013

Daft Punk - Get Lucky



I am a total sucker for a catchy pop song. I guess you can't deny a well written song when you hear one, and Daft Punk, despite being awfully boring, have a rather large canon of well written songs. I think this might actually top "Aerodynamic" as my favourite Daft Punk tune, which has held the record for a very long time now; something like 13 years? Jesus fucking Christ I'm getting old (I really need to stop saying that; I'm only 24 for fuck sake).

I normally detest Pharrell Williams. I hate The Neptunes and their awful remixes, and I totally fucking detest N.E.R.D. with their try-hard bad boy rap shit. I gotta admit though I didn't know it was Pharell singing on this track until it was too late; the plant was seeded and the tune was being hummed before I knew what the fuck had hit me! Ha ha! But here, there's a certain soulfullness to his vocal performance that I can't really put my finger on. It might be the huge disco vibes giving this track a retro edge that's doing it; I'm not sure.


Anyway, the best thing about this song has to be the bass line, by a country mile! That bass rhythym is one of the best (not to mention funkiest) things that I have ever heard, so when I saw this (slightly over-priced) 12" in Spillers Records I couldn't resist purchasing this bastard. I'm gonna round this off now 'cos there's only so much I can really say about Daft Punk; I'll just let the music do the talking for me. Make sure you got the bass cranked all the way up on yer system for this one! Out on some crappy major label.

No comments:

Post a Comment