-->

Saturday 27 April 2013

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality



These old Sabbath records are everywhere in abundance and picking one up is retardly easy because they are so cheap. Any metalhead worth his salt should appreciate the first four Sabbath records, in my rather elitist and useless opinion. This is Sabbath record number three, and is still lodged firmly in the category of "Good Sabbath", thank holy fuck. As far as I'm concerned, Sabotage onwards things start to go a bit pear shaped. As soon as Dio came into the picture, well that's another story for another time. I can literally feel the backlash of various opinions and arguements as I type this!

Master of Reality opens with one of my favourite Black Sabbath songs, "Sweet Leaf". At the price this comes at these days this record is worth buying on this song alone. Whatever your opinion on da 'erb, there is no denying the sheer excellence and rifftacularness of this track. It is chilled out and heavy as fuck at the same time, something we are (thankfully) used to thanks to the stoner and doom genres of today but back in it's time it was something else entirely, just like the whole Sabbath sound. Closing side A is "Children of the Grave", another Sabbath favourite of mine, percussion heavy and almost progressive in parts. Side B sexplodes into the acoustic "Orchid" before giving way to another Sabbath favourite. "Lord of this World".


I could go into every single song but then that would be a bit boring I think, especially on the subject of Black Sabbath. Sometimes I feel a bit dickish reviewing albums that have been out for years, so considering Master of Reality was out in 1971 and the world and his fucking cat have heard this album please excuse me if I don't go into too much depth. Classic shits, classic songs. If you haven't heard this then...well your on the wrong website ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment